NOTE: The deadline for applications is extended to June 15.
By DIANE S. WILLIAMS
District Council 37 is preparing women for future leadership roles through a six-month training program that begins in June.
Local leaders, officers and activists are invited to apply to the union’s Women’s Leadership Academy. The application deadline is May 31.
To encourage diversity, DC 37 seeks applicants from every experiential, racial and socio-economic background for the Women’s Leadership Academy.
Participants will learn to:
- develop high-level presentation and communication skills,
- develop strategic planning skills for internal organizing,
- create a personal five-year plan,
- establish a mentoring relationship with a seasoned leader,
- build capacity in their own local or chapter.
DC 37 leaders will engage in a pre-orientation webinar on mentoring and take a course in effective mentoring to provide advice and support to academy participants.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a local union leader or activist.
- commit to attend all sessions, including orientation, monthly scheduled Saturday classes, and final session.
- participate in a mentoring program, and
- commit to an approved six-month internal organizing or political action project/campaign for their local union or council.
The application should include two letters of recommendation, one from the council (a division director or designee) and one from a local president. Applications including essay, and letters of recommendation must be complete and submitted electronically by midnight on May 31. NOTE: The deadline for applications is extended to June 15.
For more information or questions, call the DC 37 Education Fund at 212-815-1700. The online application can be found on http://www.dc37edfund.org/2018WLA.