District Council 37’s Community Associations are the building blocks of union’s mobilizing efforts in neighborhoods throughout the city and are essential to addressing critical issues affecting union members, retirees and their families.
In March 2018, the associations will be holding their next round of quarterly neighborhood meetings on “Leading the Way – Bridging the Gap.” (see schedule below).
“DC 37’s Community Associations provide our members, retirees and their neighbors with vehicles for positive change within their respective communities,” said DC 37 Political Action Director Jeremy John. “Community Associations meet quarterly to share common concerns and plan action. The union sponsors these associations to help address local problems and to build organization in the local community.”
Issues and accomplishments
A broad range of topics is addressed at the meetings. The association’s steering committee chooses the topic with input from the general membership. Community problems such as crime, drugs, transit, housing, and educational services are frequent topics.
Politicians and agency representatives are invited to these meetings to hear members’ and community residents’ problems and answer their questions. The community associations are also involved in voter registration and electoral activities.
The community associations have made a positive impact citywide. They have registered voters, consulted with community partners and acted as liaisons for the union. Most importantly, they have established a strong union presence in the community, as well as in the workplace.
DC 37 members, retirees and their families are encouraged to attend upcoming community association meetings. To learn more call DC 37 Political Action at (212) 815-1550 or visit the DC 37 Community Associations webpage. For a leaflet with details, click here.
UPCOMING DC 37 COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION MEETINGS – 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. unless otherwise indicated below.
- March 20 – Bedford Stuyvesant – Bed-Stuy Restoration Plaza – 1368 Fulton St, Brooklyn, NY 11216
- March 21 – Crown Heights – Crown Gardens Community Room 1185 Carroll St, Brooklyn, NY 11225
- March 21 – Northern Manhattan – Adam Clayton Powell State Office Building – 163 West 125th St, Art Gallery, New York, NY 10027
- March 22 – South East Queens – SUNY EOC – 158-29 Archer Ave, Jamaica, NY 11432 – 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- March 29 – Staten Island – Central Family Life Center – 59 Wright St, Staten Island, NY 10304
- March 29 – Bronx – Co-op City – 177 Dreiser Loop – Room 1, Bronx, NY 10475